2020: Say “YES” to Everything to Create Change!Dec 31, 2019
In the spirit of the turn of the decade, it is time to solidify your goals for 2020 and beyond. Benjamin Franklinsupposedly once said, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” Sir Winston Churchill is credited with another, often repeated, saying, “Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.”
The research is conclusive. You are 42% more likely to achieve your goals just by writing them down.
Here are some solid reasons as to why you need to write them down.
- It will force you to clarify what you want.
- It will motivate you to take action.
- It will provide a filter for other opportunities that pop up. (blueprint of focus)
- It will help you overcome resistance and help you stay on track.
- It will enable you to celebrate milestone successes along the journey.
December is always a good month for self-development however, it must start with your mental state. We work in an industry where we take care of members, clients and team members each and every day. In order to do this prolifically, we need to take care of ourselves first. It all begins with the mind.
2020 is going to move even faster so you need to be ready. In order to seize the year, you need to take time out and reflect on what is important to you. 2020 will hold companies and people to the highest standards. Values matter. Here are some questions to help you reflect on this last decade and create your personal and professional blueprint for 2020:
Professional Goal- Familiarity breeds complacency. - Make some changes!
- What am I most proud of in my career since 2010?
- What am I least proud of in my career for 2010?
- What changes do I need to make to step up my game in 2020?
- Where would I like to see myself in 2025?
- What do you need to do in 2020 to move the needle closer to that goal?
- What support or coaching do I need to get me there? Who can help me?
Personal Goal- Take care of YOURSELF first!
- What tools can I use to get my mind in the game?
- What do I need more of or less of to help my mental strength?
- What can I do physically to be at my best?
- What is my fitness goal for 2020?
- Who do I need to surround myself with to make this happen?
2020 is not just about setting goals and accomplishing them. It is about being more deliberate with how we spend our time and how we ultimately manage our own health in order to help others.
Here’s to saying YES to everything to get inspired and be inspiring!
Thought stimulator on some GOALS…
Here are some industry goals and ideas you might want to consider:
- Join Women in Fitness Association
- Apply to be an Ambassador with WIFA
- Create and deliver an IHRSA/canfitpro presentation
- Add one certification to your resume
- Take a management or leadership development course with 360impact Group
- Commit and do a fitness charity event
- Organize an event at your club from A-Z
- Write an article for your company blog or social media channels
- Be the MOD (Manager On Duty) for a day at your club
- Update your resume
- Update your LinkedIn Profile
- Find a mentor and set up monthly calls
- Pick a % improvement in compensation by 2022
- Get on a committee
- Spend a day and shadow your boss
- Take a team member out to lunch monthly for great performance
- Network with someone you respect and admire in the industry
- Read a book a month on leadership, sales or marketing
- Create and deliver a training and development course in your company
- Learn an extra 10% of your software program.
- Send out some thank you cards to vendors, employees or your mentor
- Add a new element to your personal workout routine- run a 5km race, do yoga or increase your weights by 2-5lbs
- Go on a YOGA Retreat
- Explore new career opportunities
- Do a vision board.
Post them somewhere that you will see them every single day. Near your computer, bedside table or in front of your notebook. Make it visual and colourful. Find an app that helps you.
Share them with someone close to you- they will help hold you accountable. Once you verbalize them you will be more committed. Make 2020 a year full of education and advancement.
Paula Comfort- Bio 2020
With over 25 years’ progressive experience in the Health Club industry, Paula has leveraged records of double-digit growth and record-setting launches, to champion the success of both emerging and established brands in the highly-competitive, health and fitness space. As Vice President of the Sports Clubs of Canada/Bally Total Fitness, she was accountable for the Canadian operation of 23 locations. She then joined the senior leadership team of Spa Chakra, a New York based spa and fitness company, where she was Managing Director of fitness and proceeded to open 13 locations in luxury hotels around the world.
Currently, she a proud Partner of the 360 Impact Group, where she delivers comprehensive strategic planning, recruitment services, management coaching, employee training, climate surveys, mystery shopping, sales and marketing services, and human resources support. She is also a partner in a boutique fitness club, eMbody Fitness Clubs. Recently, she appointed to the Board of Directors for Women in Fitness Association (WIFA). Since 2012, Paula has been a writer for Fitness Business Canada. She resides in the Beach community in Toronto with her husband and three daughters. Contact her at [email protected].